Hello SDC families, It’s time we talk about Canada’s national sport. No, not hockey….the other one, Lacrosse! Canada has two national sports, hockey, which is our national winter sport and Lacrosse, which is our national summer sport.
Sometimes lacrosse doesn’t get as much recognition in Canada due to the popularity of hockey. But today our spotlight is on this sport! We will have so much fun playing Lacrosse at our Summer Camp!
- Lacrosse is played on a field that’s 110 yards in length and by 60 yards in width.
- There are goals at each end of the field that are six feet by six feet.
- The goal is surrounded by a circular crease with a diameter of 18 feet.
- Players cannot score a goal when inside that circular crease.
- The game is played with four quarters which are 20 minutes long.
- The players carry a stick or “crosse”. Up to four players can carry a long stick and the rest carry a short stick.
- Players who make infringements, like being offside or holding an opponent get sent to the penalty box.
Learn About More Of Our Sports Here
- Games are started and restarted after goals and at the start of each quarter with a face-off.
- During a face-off a player from each side lays their stick horizontally next to the ball until the official blows their whistle. Once the game is live the players battle for possession of the ball.
- Once a team gains possession of the ball they must ensure the ball is progressed beyond the midfield line within 20 seconds to encourage a fast-flowing game.
- Teams work together to try to shoot the ball into their opponents net with their crosse.
- Whichever team scores the most goals after the four quarters wins the game.
Fastest Growing Sports
Lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports for a reason, it’s a lot of fun to play. Not only that, it’s also a great sport that teaches important soft skills. It teaches children about teamwork, communication and leadership. Lacrosse can be a challenging game to play. However, it forces you to become a team player quickly.
Share Canada’s national sport with your children now. Who knows… They might discover a passion they didn’t even know they had!
Don’t forget to take advantage of our buy one get one free promotion!! Where you buy one week of camp and you’ll get a second week absolutely free! Pick a location and register now. The promotion is only available while quantities last!
Lacrosse Rules. (n.d.). Retrieved May 3, 2019, from http://www.rulesofsport.com/sports/lacrosse.html